They say too much of anything is bad. Well, this is indeed true when it comes to gambling. While gambling is all fun and entertaining (sometimes very much profitable!), it should remain that, that is, fun and entertaining. Gambling should not be your EVERYTHING, something that you cannot live without.
As we say gambling should not be your EVERYTHING, we in the same vein mean that gambling should not be done responsibly.
What is Responsible Gambling ?
Responsible gambling is simply knowing yourself; being able to tell when you are about to become a compulsive gambler hence self-regulating yourself from not following the destructive path which is gambling addiction.
Key to Avoid Gambling Addiction
The key to responsible gambling and the key to gambling addiction all lies with one’s attitude. When you enter into the gambling fraternity, what you should know is that the journey is always more important than the destination. This simply means that your gaming adventure is more important than any potential big wins. As such, do not join the gambling bandwagon looking to fatten your pockets but rather, join with the intention of enjoying some fun and entertaining games. If any big wins come, well, they are only bonuses for a fun experience!
The golden rule therefore is, always have the right attitude to ensure you gamble responsibly.
What the Experts Say ?
Experts’ advice is always important when it comes to issues of addiction. It is in light of this that we will give you the twenty questions which have been crafted by Gamblers Anonymous. Gamblers Anonymous says that if you find yourself having to answer yes to at least seven of the below questions, then you need to seek assistance.
- Have you ever attempted or considered suicide as a result of your gambling?
- Does your gambling interfere with or damage the welfare of your family and friends?
- Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act in order to finance your gambling?
- Do arguments or frustrations give you an urge to go and gamble?
- Does gambling decrease your ambition or efficiency?
- Does gambling cause you sleeping difficulties?
- Do you gamble in order to escape worry or things that are troubling you?
- Are you reluctant to use your gambling funds for other expenses?
- Have you ever sold anything in order to finance your gambling?
- Do you ever gamble as a way to pay back debts or solve financial difficulties?
- Do you miss work to gamble?
- Do you use gambling as a way to celebrate something good?
- Do you feel regretful after losing?
- Has gambling ever caused you to feel unhappy?
- Does gambling give you a bad reputation?
- Do you gamble until you have no more funds left?
- Do you gamble longer than what you intended to?
- Do you feel you must win back your losses after losing?
- Do you ever borrow money to finance your gambling?
- After a win, do you feel an urge to continue gambling?
How to Stay Safe When Gambling ?
While responsibly gambling may seem daunting for some, the thing is, it’s actually quite a simple thing. There are just a few factors that you need to strictly adhere to if you want to gamble responsibly. To help you on this front, here are five tips that will help you gamble responsibly from now onwards:
- Make use of websites such as Playscan that help you monitor yourself
- Strive to play at reputable casinos especially eCOGRA certified casinos as these help you when they detect tendencies of a gambling addiction
- Know when to quit. This applies whether you are on a winning run (in the quest to win more money) or losing run (in a quest to recover funds)
- Set and strictly stick to your budget
- Always remember, it’s the journey, not the destination you are after during your gaming adventures